Im actually glad this happenned for a few reasons. first being it only got
customer airrouters with public IPs on our network. port 80 was already
changed on most for the DMZ but we had still open and 5.62 was our base
firmware, we just hadnt moved up because it was "stable" we just hadnt gone
back through and religiously upgraded backhauls and CPE routers
It made the decision official to move to providing a mikrotik router rather
than an air router to every customer who wants one- woot

It opened our eyes to the serious impact of being small and acting small.
We had always approached things as being a big fish in a small pond of our
small coverage area, we thought being in the small pond we didnt have to
take overall security all that seriously. The reality is we are a minnow in
a polluted ocean and this round there happenned to be a bunch of drunken
teenagers who hijacked a cinch-net fishing trawler. The moral of this story
is that our attitude opened the door for us to be part of the global
malicious traffic problem. Our lack of good stewardship made us bad
neighbors. If we were Japanese I think this is when we would gut ourselves
with a sword, good thing we are arrogant prick Americans and we can just
brush off the responsibility and blame UBNT.