Stupid things meaning SMs losing session randomly. SMs failing to register and getting stuck 'out of range'. APs reporting no sync when clearly there's sync and all SMs are still registered. Sync drifting. And then DFS/LBT madness. Never had an AP go MIA though.

Do you have any other Canopy radios co-located with your problem AP? On the same L2 segment? If you see it again, check the Layer 2 Neighbors list and see if your vanished AP is still spitting out LLDP messages.

You have a SyncInjector powering the AP? Does anything look different with that port's current consumption? Before, during, after? Compared to other radios?

Let us know if it happens again on 14.1.2. This is really interesting to me. If it's a software crash, then obviously the hardware watchdog should reset it... unless it developed a h/w issue. Cap, resistor or diode took a surge maybe? Like the stuck in default plug mode that the older FSK radios are infamous for.

On 7/6/2016 9:09 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
Well, “stupid things start happening” seems apt. Maybe it just didn’t cause a watchdog reset. Like the stupid people who still manage to dress themselves, drive cars, vote, and generally defy Darwin. Power cycling it via the Packetflux POE would briefly bring it back, but only until SMs started registering. If we logged in during that timeframe and changed the config so that SMs would not register, then it would stay up. This same AP screwed up last Sunday morning for a couple hours, intermittently up and down until it started working again on its own.
*From:* George Skorup <mailto:geo...@cbcast.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, July 06, 2016 8:40 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] 450 AP intermittently nonresponsive, doesn't happen if no SM sessions It could be related to the 13.x FPGA memory controller bug, but I haven't seen this specific problem on dozens of APs. I definitely know the memory bug when I see it because stupid things start happening and the AP has to be rebooted. But the AP becoming completely unresponsive while the ethernet statistics all look fine is not one of them. Anything is possible though.

If it happens again even on 14.1.2, I would try to bounce the ethernet link and see if that does anything. I have seen a lot of that especially with MikroTik + Canopy. Fairly frequent with P9 and P10 FSK APs. Chuck's surge suppressors seem to add to the problem, but I can live with that.

Also, I know that I'm getting about 20 volts at the radios on a couple clusters that are on ~300 feet of cable, SyncInjector fed by a 24v regulated power supply with the pot set at 25 volts (due to UBNT radios on shorter runs). The 450 APs seem to handle it fine.