Let Medusa seduce ya with her 14 beams.

On 7/22/2016 10:31 AM, ch...@wbmfg.com wrote:
I would be giving everyone 25 Mbps if I was to put it up. So, I doubt I could put more than about 6 on there without running into trouble.
*From:* Kurt Fankhauser <mailto:lists.wavel...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Friday, July 22, 2016 9:13 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Over subscription Rate
With the Cambium PMP450 I monitor the framelink utilization via SNMP to determine if an AP is oversubscribed or not. I have 25 subs on this ap and it peaks at about 25% utilization on the downlink every night. Customers are a mix of 1.5Meg / 3.0Meg / 6Meg download with up to 20mbps bursting. At this rate I would safely say I could put 75 subscribers on this AP but it really is dependent on who your customers are. I have a similar AP only serving 15 customers that will hit 50% utilization sometimes. Apparently the customers in that area must watch more Netflix, lol. On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Sam Morris <w...@csilogan.com <mailto:w...@csilogan.com>> wrote:

    Very helpful Adam. Thank you!

    Sam

    On 7/21/2016 4:18 PM, Adam Moffett wrote:

        I don't believe in over subscription rates. :)

        For planning purposes, I assume we'll get 2/3's of advertised
        throughput
        from the AP and then plan on 8:1.

        In real life you have to abandon the over subscription rate
        after the
        planning phase and monitor what's actually happening on the AP's.
        Averaging hundreds of users together you'll get actual usage
        that seems
        in line with an 8:1 or 6:1 ratio. On an individual AP you tend
        to not
        have enough capacity for more than 30-50 people, so you can
        easily get a
        few statistical outliers in the mix that make actual
        consumption not
        line up with the planned over subscription rate.

        It goes both ways too....I've seen sites with actual over
        subscription
        of 20:1 and everything's working ok, and other actual sites
        fall apart
        when oversub was only 4:1.