TVs used to have a hot chassis.  They were in a wooden box though...

-----Original Message----- From: ch...@wbmfg.com
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 5:38 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] 48v and -48v

I understand why an an engineer using a RF device would do that, they want
zero impedance from the RF ground to the rest of the world. You can still DC
isolate it but it takes a little bit of doing at microwave frequencies.

If you choose 48 volts as a design engineer, you are choosing a voltage that
historically has been -48 in the telcom industry.

I don't understand why a router designer would need to bond their logic
grounds to the chassis.
If it is phy isolated ethernet in and out, there is no problem in having a
hot ground plane with respect to the case of the device.

So, I guess you could make an isolated mount for MT routers...

-----Original Message----- From: George Skorup