From: "Chris Wright" <ch...@velociter.net>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2016 11:15:39 AM
Subject: [AFMUG] Fast.com (Netflix) tests significantly slower than EVERYTHING
ELSE

I have a couple customers who are testing poorly at fast.com, yet their speeds
are great on speedtest.net servers. Naturally they claim Netflix constantly
buffers and accuse me of throttling Netflix – we’re doing no such thing. For
giggles I kicked their SM for a moment and put their pppoe account in a laptop
at the NOC, set the throttle exorbitantly high (100mbps) and let it rip. 2mbps
to fast.com, 99mbps everywhere else. Testing an adjacent IP in the same subnet
will do 99mbps at both fast.com and speedtest.net.

I would be on the phone with my upstream asking questions if other IPs in the
same subnet were experiencing the same results. This whole thing feels like
Netflix is targeting individual IPs with a throttle hammer. Any ideas here?

Chris Wright
Network Administrator