This is a good reminder for everyone else on the list (not Paul) that
geographic diversity is useful. Two thoughts;

1) Follow best practices of separation of authoritative and recursive DNS.
The IP addresses you hand out to your customers for "NS1" and "NS2" to
resolve things, your recursive resolvers that have an ACL that allow
queries from your netblocks should *not* also be your authoritative DNS
servers. Put your authoritative ns1/ns2 slave/ns3 slave elsewhere.

2) Have geographic diversity in the location of your ns2 and ns3
authoritative slaves for your zone files. Even on a minuscule budget, it
takes a tiny amount of resources to run bind9 for authoritative only, you
can have an ns3 that is a $5/month VM hosted in a state 1500 miles away.
Or we can all mutually swap slave nameservers. If anyone wants NS2 and NS3
slave services for free I have a set of nameservers that are currently
averaging six nines availability over a year.

3) Consider what other things you can have off site for geographic
diversity. If you do your own mail servers, make a second SMTP server (
mail2.domain.com) with appropriate MX records in your DNS, and host it on a
small dedicated machine or VM that is thousands of miles away from you.
Your local mail server in your core POP goes down?  Mail will still arrive
and be queued in a spool if things are set up right.