From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:52 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] baicells

Kudos to you guys who even get 900 MHz to work.

I think we walk away from about 50% of the 900 MHz installs we go to.  If we
can’t find a spot where we get an actual peak while aligning the antenna, but
rather just the same weak signal everywhere we point the antenna, we know that
we’re just picking up scattered signal off the trees and it’s not going to be
fast or reliable, even if it does actually register and pass data.  We
definitely have RTK and smartgrid interference in 900 MHz, but my theory is
when we are just getting a scattered signal from our AP, we are also getting
scattered signal from other 900 MHz WISPs in the area and can’t aim the antenna
to differentiate between the APs at different azimuths.  And GPS timing does
not help when an SM is seeing several APs.  OK, just my theory.  Maybe since we
mostly do LOS we don’t understand the NLOS magic tricks, like maybe we need to
be sacrificing livestock at every install or chanting magic incantations.  Or
maybe like dousing for water, you need to be a true believer.