Well, lots of theories.  Another is it’s retaliation against Dyn for publicly
calling out BackConnect for BGP spoofing.  One guy posted very authoritatively
on Broadband Reports that the real target was Comcast because … data caps.

I’m not sure I buy that WikiLeaks attacked Dyn because of the Ecuador thing.
For one thing, WikiLeaks does leaks, DDoS attacks is more like Anonymous.  But
probably you’re saying it’s Russia.  Hmmmm, that seems like quite an
escalation, since Assange losing his WiFi in the embassy is hardly going to
stop Wikileaks unless there’s a lot bigger cyber attack on Wikileaks than has
been reported.

I heard someone on the radio say after Ecuador took away Assange’s Internet
privileges, “be sure to lock your Ecuadors and windows”.

One thing we can probably all agree on is that it was just a matter of time
before somebody DDoS’d the whole Internet.  The capability has probably been
there for awhile and it’s almost surprising it took this long.  Nobody seemed
to want to do anything about the DDoS problem when it was just gamer kids
booting each other and DD4BC and little WISPs getting blown off the air because
they couldn’t mitigate 1 Gb+ attacks.  I hope someone has been thinking about
what to do when they start blowing the whole Internet off the air on a daily
basis.