Yes... I have 4M/512K DSL at home (outside our coverage area), and I often
work from home. There are ways to make just about anything work with less
if you put some effort into it, and I can't see any reason why what most of
our customers that work from home do should be bandwidth intensive (and
their actual usage confirms that it really isn't), but their IT people
still tell them they need more.

If you're needing to work with hi-resolution images, or something like
that, yes - you need a fast connection, there's really no way around either
getting a faster connection or spending a lot of time sitting around
waiting... but in my experience, the majority of them aren't doing anything
like that.