From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Brandon Yuchasz
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2016 8:19 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] Customers texting cell phones "hey my internet isn; t working"

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and if so what they used as a
solution.

I am getting more and more texts from customers as time goes on. They get my
cell phone number at some point when I call them or from a friend or who knows
but they hold onto it.
Instead of emailing the tech support or calling in they send me a text to my
cell phone.  "hey my internet isn't working" . I don't know who the hell they
are of course since its just some random number with no context. So Then I am
faced with ignoring the text or replying. " I'm sorry but I don't know who this
is from can you please give me additional information. "
Text back and forth over the next 15 minutes reveal they have the wireless
turned off on their computer or the router took a shit or they are off line.
Regardless it's annoying, I have considered asking them not to text my cell
phone and instead call or email but half the time they are still going to get
me. That's not ideal. Please don't text my cell phone instead use our online
contact option or call us at.... 5 minutes later I get a call that forwards to
my cell phone not ideal.  although that is changing and hopefully in the next 6
months I won't be doing any tech support calls anymore.

How do you guys deal with this from a company standpoint.

Just so everyone realizes it... this is at least 65% rant so sarcasm and honest
real feedback are both welcome.