The industry is very similar to other services/attractions/products …. if the 
right people are marketing it, and assuming there is quite a bit of talent in 
the first place, then those people will succeed.  It’s an incredibly tough 
industry with a lot of extremely good talent - those who stand out and get 
attention of the right people will become those “icons” …. 

I personally spent a lot of time around the music industry and still have my 
finger on the pulse in a few cases - I can’t hold a note or play an instrument 
.. was never my thing - but for recording and production, promotion etc is 
where I was much better suited.  For me, this mainly came as a result of my 
short but successful nightclub DJ career when I was much younger .. this 
afforded me contacts that I would have never been able to make otherwise.

None of the groups I have ever been around and/or directly engaged in ever did 
lip syncing .. ever.    Although I really enjoy dance/pop music and always have 
- I find those artists are more into mass performances than others.  This 
distracts the audience away from the singer themselves and more into the 
production… not saying pop singers can’t sing as that’s not true at all, just 
that in live audiences their approach is often different. 





> On Jan 2, 2017, at 12:28 AM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Mariah Carey has or had, something like an 8 octave range. I can't remember 
> exactly, but it was always highly touted.
> 
> On Jan 1, 2017 10:43 PM, "Ken Hohhof" <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> The criticism is probably unfair, since it was a technical snafu, plus lip 
> syncing is common at this kind of event.
> 
>  
> 
> But I question whether Mariah Carey or most pop singing “icons” can really 
> sing live.  Some put on a huge show with dancing and stuff and I cut them 
> some slack, some like P!nk and Katy Perry I suspect can actually sing without 
> autotune, others like Britney Spears probably not.  Rihanna is immensely 
> popular, I like her voice but cannot listen to her songs because they are so 
> heavily autotuned.
> 
>  
> 
> Why do these stars get paid the big bucks, and how are they different from 
> Milli Vanilli?
> 
>  
> 
> Here’s a singer who has no trouble singing live, not famous or making the big 
> bucks though.  Doing OK but not an “icon”.  Life isn’t fair I guess.  Maybe 
> being a starving artist keeps you honest.
> 
>  
> 
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6or36evZ21A 
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6or36evZ21A>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-PZgl256-s 
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-PZgl256-s>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-to6u8TXE 
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-to6u8TXE>  (1 of 5)
> 
>  
> 
> Youtube is a treasure for live music videos.
> 

Reply via email to