Look at the following in your smoking.cgi

step (mandatory setting)
Duration of the base operation interval of SmokePing in seconds. SmokePing will
venture out every step seconds to ping your target hosts. If
'concurrent_probes' is set to 'yes' (see above), this variable can be
overridden by each probe. Note that the step in the RRD files is fixed when
they are originally generated, and if you change the step parameter afterwards,
you'll have to delete the old RRD files or somehow convert them.

By default the step is 300 seconds and 20 pings.  This means it will ping 20
times in a 5 minute interval.

IMHO pinging every second is a little bit excessive, but to each their own.
Even on aggressive hosts I have mine set to 10 seconds.

Justin Wilson
j...@mtin.net

---
http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO
xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth

http://www.midwest-ix.com  COO/Chairman
Internet Exchange - Peering - Distributed Fabric