Jon,

That would probably crush Smokeping pretty fast - I've used it quite a bit, and I don't think it's built to support pinging every second to any decent amount of devices. From a physics standpoint, it would have to be able to send every ping and receive a response within a second in order to begin the next cycle, so that would rapidly become impossible with any decent number of devices (and the amount of data being transferred would become very large.)

If you're only pinging 5-10 devices, it might work, but probably not much beyond that.