We don’t believe there is any software bug here, and it is important to note
that the speed tests were performed while the link was heavily utilized. PHY
rates were 1300 Mbps, and existing throughput was 766 Mbps aggregate at the
time. These details were left out earlier in the thread.

Auto TDMA provides half the latency of a fixed TDMA with 8ms window, and as we
know, TCP performs better with lower latency. Switching to Auto TDMA allocates
more capacity in the direction where it is needed, further reducing latency for
all clients, and improving TCP speed test results.

Mimosa always recommends running speed tests on links in isolation to identify
the source of any bottlenecks. This usually entails running a standard test
such as iPerf across the link with nothing in between. We have nothing against
speedtest.net, and regularly see speed test results that approach link capacity
when the link throughput is not near capacity.

With fixed TDMA time slots, the MAC rate and performance are consistent, but
latency is higher. Here is an example using the settings we saw on that
specific link:
Tx: 1300 PHY * 90% Efficiency with 8ms * 75% traffic split = 877.5 Mbps MAC
rate (658 with TCP overhead)
Rx: 1300 PHY * 90% Efficiency with 8ms * 25% traffic split = 292.5 Mbps MAC
rate (219 with TCP overhead)
Latency = 8ms TDMA window * 2.5 = 20 ms

With Auto TDMA, the MAC rate shown on the Dashboard does not represent the full
Auto TDMA capacity. It shows a 75% traffic split in both directions in all
conditions, while Auto TDMA is capable of traffic splits beyond that. Thanks,
Chris for pointing that out, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Here is the calculation that the Dashboard shows.
Tx: 1300 PHY * 80% Efficiency * 75% traffic split = 780 Mbps MAC rate
Rx: 1300 PHY * 80% Efficiency * 75% traffic split = 780 Mbps MAC rate
Latency = 1-10ms depending on load

The Tx MAC rate appears fixed and lower in Auto TDMA, but is isn’t necessarily.
Instead, the MAC rate could be as much as the calculation below since Auto TDMA
adapts the split to traffic demand:
Tx: 1300 PHY * 80% Efficiency * 90% traffic split (auto) = 936 Mbps MAC rate

Chris Trout
Mimosa Networks, Inc.