If you're not ending up with default config, I'm pretty sure the recovery
isn't working properly... having the reset button disabled doesn't affect
that.

It's pretty simple to write a script to load a config file on linux, but
I'm not sure what the easiest way to do it on Windows would be. Can Putty
do SCP?