I have a Traco power supply where if I short the thing I get a red LED and a squealing buzzer. It recovers if you remove the short. I have a Meanwell that clicks inside if you short it, and then resets if you unplug the AC and plug it back in. Another Meanwell model resets automatically a few seconds after the short is removed.

These are all relatively expensive devices, but they all behave in a way I like. Is it too expensive for switches (or Surge protectors) to behave like that?

------ Original Message ------
From: "Chuck McCown" <ch...@wbmfg.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 4/24/2017 5:07:38 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] POE Port Protection

In line, so the cheap thing can blow and you don’t have to replace a more expensive thing. Plus not all folks will want fusing so it would drive up the cost of a surge suppressor if I added fusing.

Poly switches are the problem. That POE switch actually protects all the ports with a polyswitch. But they are very slow to blow. They are there for fire code reasons, not port protection. If there was a fast blow polyswitch this problem would not exist.