From: "Steve Jones" <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:05:42 AM
Subject: [AFMUG] BGP history

I don't know how to use these looking glasses and understand what I'm seeing,
probably pretty simple.
what we have is two upstreems we peer with. Our ASN consists of a /22 we
announce as /24s, two on each provider (bad, I know) what happened this morning
was one upstream seems to have gotten some mud in their pudding and the
interwebs couldn't get to those two /24. Because I'm pretty good at finding
ways to ensure all my practices are bad our network DNS resolvers were on those
two /24 also, so pretty much all our customers are pissed

I ultimately disabled all my static routes internally, added the two /24 to the
provider that wasn't smoking crack and dropped my ospf default route on the bad
router and killed the peering session.

when I added the two, before anything else, it brought everyone back up, they
were going out bad peer 1 and in good guy peer 2, So had I been running full
/22 on both peers I assume we wouldn't have known there was an issue other than
problem calls for stuff that doesn't like assymetric paths, probably would have
resulted in hours of troubleshooting before I looked at BGP

I get bgpmon alerts, but have received none this morning

how can I look back historically to see what of mine was being announced where
and by whom?

and whats the best free or low cost monitoring that I can get good alerts on?

This may turn out not to have been a BGP issue, the upstream may have just
stubbed their toe