From: "Steve Jones" <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
To: "af" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:05:42 AM
Subject: [AFMUG] BGP history

I don't know how to use these looking glasses and understand what I'm
seeing, probably pretty simple.
what we have is two upstreems we peer with. Our ASN consists of a /22 we
announce as /24s, two on each provider (bad, I know) what happened this
morning was one upstream seems to have gotten some mud in their pudding and
the interwebs couldn't get to those two /24. Because I'm pretty good at
finding ways to ensure all my practices are bad our network DNS resolvers
were on those two /24 also, so pretty much all our customers are pissed

I ultimately disabled all my static routes internally, added the two /24 to
the provider that wasn't smoking crack and dropped my ospf default route on
the bad router and killed the peering session.

when I added the two, before anything else, it brought everyone back up,
they were going out bad peer 1 and in good guy peer 2, So had I been
running full /22 on both peers I assume we wouldn't have known there was an
issue other than problem calls for stuff that doesn't like assymetric
paths, probably would have resulted in hours of troubleshooting before I
looked at BGP

I get bgpmon alerts, but have received none this morning

how can I look back historically to see what of mine was being announced
where and by whom?

and whats the best free or low cost monitoring that I can get good alerts
on?

This may turn out not to have been a BGP issue, the upstream may have just
stubbed their toe