IMO Just go to the CCR and don't worry about the CPU anymore.

The middle ground might be the 3011.  1.4ghz dual core for about $180.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Paul McCall" <pa...@pdmnet.net>
To: "af@afmug.com" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: 7/21/2017 1:17:02 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] cost effective, mid-range performance Mikrotik router needed

As we moved all out towers to Fiber / Power up the tower, we still have the router at the bottom (running a UBNT S16) at the tower top. The only thing we really have at the bottom that plugs into the router (other than Fiber) is a SiteMonitor. (Boy, I wish it had an SFP, but I digress.)

So, we use something like the CRSCRS125-24G-1S (because it was already there and has an SFP port) or a RB2011 (same reason). Both have a 600Mhz MIPS 74Kc V4.12.

I am looking to find something that has more power without jumping up to a $ 380 CCR1009. We have 25+ towers that fit into that scenario. In each case, these towers never push for than 50 Mbit of BW but often go over 60% CPU. The use Queues per connected customers (that it grabs from Radius) and very basic Firewall rules to restrict access on all the good ports to our internal office subnet.

But, we just need a bit more horsepower. Was wondering if someone had any ideas? Like maybe building some little cube box to run ROS, but not seeing a cost effective solution that has a fiber port and a copper port. There is the Power Box pro with same CPU but 800Mhz, but not sure that would be the tipping point that we need long term.

Any suggestions>

Paul

Paul McCall, President

PDMNet, Inc. / Florida Broadband, Inc.