From: Forrest Christian (List Account)
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2017 6:01 PM
To: af
Subject: [AFMUG] Wire label labelmaker recommendation

I've been using a brother "TZ" labelmaker for quite a while.   Works great on
flat surfaces.

Recently, I've been needing to label wires for the test system - I'm finding
that the TZ tape likes to peel.  I'm going to get a brand new roll of the
cable&wire flexible id tape, in case I got a bad one or mistakenly used the
wrong tape for some of these labels.  But... I'm pretty convinced that this is
more related to the fact that these cables are inserted/removed regularly and
as such the label+cable is subject to being flexed.  With the plastic tape
being not as flexible as the cable, this is causing enough 'strain' on the
adhesive for it to release.

I've been curious about the brady and other similar labelers.   Unfortunately I
don't know what label is going on these cables at build time so for the most
part I'm going to have to stick with some sort of adhesive label (unless there
is another option other than a heatshrink tube).   The fact that brady has
cloth labels makes me wonder if this would work better...

What does everyone use, and what experience have you had with the labels?

BTW, many of these cables are CAT5 sized.  Some are bigger/smaller though...

--

      Forrest Christian CEO, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.