In a massive disaster or humanitarian relief situation, a satellite phone
is also a useful thing for an organization's emergency kit. An Iridium
handheld is not dependent on anything local to function and requires a lot
less power than a ham radio setup (can be charged from a 10W to 20W sized
folding solar panel, by USB interface). The LEO satellite-to-satellite ka
band trunk network architecture of Iridium is not dependent on anything in
your region functioning except your phone.