I've used 10G copper.... DACs. I won't buy a RJ45 10G server, switch, AP, whatever. Ever. SFP+ or I'll buy something else.

On 10/14/2017 3:40 PM, Mathew Howard wrote:
The new Ignitenet stuff can do 2.5gig over copper, but I can't imagine there's much demand for 10 gig in the wireless world... maybe in enterprise wifi type products.

But I suspect there are uses for surge suppressors that don't involve wireless...

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Jay Weekley <par...@cyberbroadband.net <mailto:par...@cyberbroadband.net>> wrote:

    Is there much demand for 10 gig over copper for the wireless world?

    Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

    -------- Original message --------
    From: ch...@wbmfg.com <mailto:ch...@wbmfg.com>
    Date: 10/14/17 3:22 PM (GMT-06:00)
    To: af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
    Subject: [AFMUG] ethical delimma?

    My line of APC surge suppressors got invented because someone got
    hit by a storm at their NOC and everything was fried.  And
    everything was protected by the APC rack mount surge suppressor.
    They sent me the cards and asked me to see why they didn’t work.
    I was already in the surge suppressor business at that point and I
    did analyze the card and sent them a report.  They asked me if I
    could make one of the same form factor that actually did work.  I
    did that the rest is history.
    I have been working hard to edge closer to something that is
    functional on 10 Gbps circuits.  I test every design on a TIA
    CAT6A Perm Fixture test.  Getting dangerously close to passing
    that spec.  In doing so, all the traces are now balanced
    differential pair RF striplines with controlled impedance and
    length matching etc.  It has not been easy.
    I recently purchased the latest APC surge protector that some
    sites claim to be good to 10 Gbps.  I discovered little has
    changed since the early days and there is no way in hell it can do
    10 Gbps.  The return loss and NEXT are horrible at the higher
    speeds.  I am surprised it even works well at 1 Gbps.
    I really want to have a comparison chart on my website comparing
    my stuff with theirs.  But I worry about several items:
    The testing is not done by an independent third party.
    (I might be fudging the data...)
    I don’t want any product slander letters from their lawyers.
    I really don’t want them to re-design the product so it works
    (better).
    I guess I can publish the technical test specs with a comparison
    to an un-named similar product.
    That seems silly as there are only two manufacturers that I know
    of that makes cards that fit that rack.