Way back in the late '80's when I was in college students were encouraged to use "they" and "them" instead of "he or she" or "him or her" in composition. The idea was that we wouldn't be putting a male ahead of a female in a sentence. I'm with you. "He or she" means ONE or the other and not both which would be plural but we must be politically correct and avoid micro aggressions.

ch...@wbmfg.com wrote:
— who identifies as non-binary transgender and prefers the pronouns “they” and “them”—
How do you use this in speech?  They and them are plural in my mind.