From: "Christopher Gray" <cg...@graytechsoftware.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 9:17:41 AM
Subject: [AFMUG] Use Unpowered PoE Injector on Long Ethernet Runs?

I have a customer with bizarre issues. I've replaced almost everything but odd
issues keep coming back.

The customer has a 100' run of Ethernet cable from the house to the barn, and a
switch in the barn. I'm wondering if there might be an issue with different
power sources, possibly different grounds between the router and the switch.
The issues are intermittent enough that I can't ask for them to just disconnect
their barn as it is used for work.

If I install an unpowered gigabit PoE injector in-line with that 100' run, will
that eliminate any issues with different power or different grounds between
different buildings since the buildings would be on separate sides of the
magnetics, or do I need better separation?