It is always peak gain.  Check the return loss at the frequency you are
interested in.  If it is >10 dB you should be good.

From: Adam Moffett
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:47 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Arc Wireless 30 dBi vs RocketDish RD-5G30

A difference that sometimes is not clear on spec sheets is you can't have the
same efficiency across all wavelengths.  "5ghz" could mean from 4.9 to 5.8 (or
more in some countries).  The antenna won't be equally effective across a whole
ghz of spectrum.

You and I might test the same two dishes and you might say dish A was a couple
db better and I might say dish B was a few db better and the difference might
be that I'm using 5.1ghz and you're using 5.8ghz, so we'd both be right about
our respective dishes at our respective frequencies.  The spec sheet on both
antennas might say "30dbi" and they're both right because that's the peak gain
at some point in the 5ghz band, but it needn't be the same point between the
different designs. The difference shouldn't be more than a few db so most of
the time we don't have to fret about it, but if you're looking for the highest
gain then it might matter.