The problem I see with NN is the customer will never understand it properly.
They will make demands that their 1 meg connection should be as good as someone
who pays for a 100 meg or 1 gig connection. They will say the others are
getting priority and not them and as such violating NN. The whole concept of
“fast lanes” is really just buying more bandwidth. While I do acknowledge you
can put various interfaces in priority, unless you actually get more bandwidth
I question how effective that would be without the extra purchased capacity.

The other aspect of this whole debate is that the public and I dare say some
ISP’s have lost sight of the fact that if there are unfair business practices,
that is under the authority of the Feral Trade Commission, not the FCC. The FCC
jumped in to this and overextended their authority, but hey that is what people
in power try to do to develop their little kingdoms and power base.

As others have said, this was not a problem before and the free market and
competition will keep it from being a problem in the future. I sure as hell
would not want the government telling me how to run my network that I built
with my money. The public still does not understand that there is no public
internet, it’s just a system of interconnected private networks build with
private money (excepting some last mile grant funded projects). How a carrier
wants to manage their network traffic is up to them. If they don’t do a good
job customers will walk. If word gets out that a network operator conducts
unfair practices, word will get out and fast. Customers will be in an uproar
and they will crucify said carrier/ISP. Social media has a way of making that
happen overnight.

Having mapped and tracked carrier data for many years now and for 5 of those
years having access to data under NDA, I personally saw over time carriers that
had various markets locked up with almost no competition still innovate,
upgrade and improve their networks. This was due to customer demand and market
changes. These carriers could have sat back and not spent money upgrading
speeds and network infrastructure and just kept collecting money from the
customer base, yet they did not. So the big carrier boogeyman syndrome that
people are worried about happening, just is going to happen. I am more worried
about the content providers like Facebook and Google being the evil ones, if
that ever comes to pass.

Let’s not let our distaste for competitors cloud the overwhelming amount of
hard data that is out there that speaks to the contrary.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com

www.Broadband-Mapping.com