From: Af <af-boun...@afmug.com> On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2018 11:55 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Looking for a new Truck/field Laptop

USB ethernet fixes that :)

On 05/21/2018 09:12 AM, David Coudron wrote:
We have been using the Mikrotik mAP in the same fashion as Steve mentions with
some pretty good results.   Put IP addresses on the one interface as needed and
then connect wirelessly.   We were killing EIthernet ports too often due to the
stiffer shielded patch cables and cable runs on our tower sites.   They just
put too much pressure on kinds of Ethernet ports many laptops have.  Now, it is
getting tougher to find a decently thin laptop with an Ethernet port anyway.

Additionally the techs are doing everything they can from their phones these
days.   Normal Mimosa installs are entirely phone based.   Our main tech avoids
the laptop like the plague.   We can firmware update the client radios,
configure the radio, make the customer active in Powercode, etc all from the
phone.   We really only use the laptop and mAP for tower work now, and much of
that has moved to the phones too.

Regards,

David Coudron