We started using the Powerlink from link technologies.
So far our guys love em. The POE and wireless are built in.
a full charge will last them the whole day.

On 05/21/2018 01:10 PM, David Coudron wrote:

Very true. However, we found that if we have to carry the USB dongle anyway, that carrying the mAP instead gave us much more freedom and reliability (the USB dongles seemed a little flaky, if they got pulled sideways in the port, they didn’t work).   We could even sit in the truck and work on the equipment without having to run a cable to cabinet, etc.  Or have two techs connected to the cabinet at the same time. However, there are lots of ways to skin this cat as you mention 😊  Probably the biggest thing is that you can connect to the network using a phone rather than just an ethernet port based device like a laptop.

Regards,

David Coudron

**

*From:*Af <af-boun...@afmug.com> *On Behalf Of *Dave
*Sent:* Monday, May 21, 2018 11:55 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Looking for a new Truck/field Laptop

USB ethernet fixes that :)

On 05/21/2018 09:12 AM, David Coudron wrote:

    We have been using the Mikrotik mAP in the same fashion as Steve
    mentions with some pretty good results.   Put IP addresses on the
    one interface as needed and then connect wirelessly.   We were
    killing EIthernet ports too often due to the stiffer shielded
    patch cables and cable runs on our tower sites.   They just put
    too much pressure on kinds of Ethernet ports many laptops have.
    Now, it is getting tougher to find a decently thin laptop with an
    Ethernet port anyway.

    Additionally the techs are doing everything they can from their
    phones these days.   Normal Mimosa installs are entirely phone
    based.   Our main tech avoids the laptop like the plague.   We can
    firmware update the client radios, configure the radio, make the
    customer active in Powercode, etc all from the phone.   We really
    only use the laptop and mAP for tower work now, and much of that
    has moved to the phones too.

    Regards,

    David Coudron