Gino would probably be your best source for advice as I'll bet he has one
of the largest networks of similar construction. I think he went MPLS to
deal with a variety of issues he was having, including OSPF. But maybe Gino
can speak up on the issue.
Typically, if you didn't want to do anything else, you would consider iBGP
and break the OSPF domains up in some logical way. The big determining
factor for me for such things is the occurrence route flapping and how
often it happens. Route flapping will be the big indicator that you are to
big and OSPF can't keep up. You can do some tweaking but at some point it
just all falls apart. The bad part about waiting till that happens is you
will loose a lot of customers trying to make things stable again.
I would think Denis also would have a much better informed path to take and
I'll bet he would be happy to contract to help you. Probably money well
spent.