I came across this article on looking for something else and pass it
on. It is an acacemic journal article looking mainly at the role of
English in postcolonial literature, but may be of interest for its
consideration of questions dealt with by African authors. Citation,
URL, and some brief excerpts below.  DZO

Chanda, Ipshita. 2003. "The Tortoise and the Leopard, or the
Postcolonial Muse." Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and the
Middle East, 23:1&2.
http://cssaame.com/issues/23/17.pdf

"... this paper addresses the process of reading the literatures in
the language of the colonizer written by the colonized. In all
colonized societies, oral and/or written traditions of verbal art
existed before the colonizers arrived with their language and the
specific structures of socialization based on this language as well as
particular hierarchies derived from it. In order to understand the
process of production of literatures in the colonizers' language in
these societies and offer certain speculations on the communities of
reception that these processes interpellate, it is necessary,
therefore, to consider the relations between orality and literacy and
their implications for development and progress, at the basis of which
lies the idea of civilization predicated upon writing and written
documentation. I will attempt to show that these fundamental issues,
relating to the context and process of producing literatures by the
colonized in the colonizers' language, have a crucial bearing upon the
academic discipline of literature as it is taught in universities of
postcolonial/third world location and elsewhere."

"I explore the negotiations represented in the texts between the
language-world constructed through colonial policy and continued by
postcolonial educational policies, and the 'vernacular' world that
existed before the coming of the colonizers. This helps one to discern
the effects of each upon the other, thus delineating the dynamics of
the literary process in the colonizers' language and its position
within the literary system of the postcolony. Within this framework
arise the following questions: Written as these literatures are, in a
global language, what is their status in the communities of their
origin, and in the global community? What are the epistemological
issues involved in reading them? To whom are they addressed and by
whom? Ultimately, I would like to raise a question that seems so
obvious that we often forget to answer it in our practice: What is the
function of the colonizer's language as the vehicle of postcolonial
writing? I am arguing that the use of English in postcolonial writing
is a political maneuver that must be recognized, for to abstract
English from its sociohistorical specificity into the realm of the
'universal' that literature so easily becomes would be a strategic
silencing at worst, and a naïve obfuscation at best."

"Can the postcolonial writer, after all, speak for herself even when
she uses the colonizers' language? Or does the latest version of
Empire still speak in her voice?"

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/TpIolB/TM