From: AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 8:26 AM
To: AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AfricanLanguages] Digest Number 317

--------------------~--> Know
an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor
this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/TpIolB/TM

There is 1 message in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Bilingual books for African children?
           From: "Don Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:21:18 -0000
   From: "Don Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bilingual books for African children?

I've recently found an interesting series of
children's books by Blake
Education Pty. Ltd. (Australia) for my son. They are
fun introductions to
serious topics in science and culture, and the
versions we found are
bilingual English & Chinese.

The thought occurs that since this series has already
been adapted to one
series of bilingual versions, that it might be
possible to adapt it to a
variety of others, thinking here specifically of
African languages.

Search "Brain Waves" on the publisher's site at
http://www.blake.com.au/ to
see a list of titles.

A more interesting description of one of the titles,
"Whose Crazy Idea Was
That?" (perhaps an apt example here ;-) )is at
http://www.dominie.com.au/productsmain.asp?productid=XXSN-1126
:
"This is a series of full colour, non-fiction, chapter
books that make facts
come alive. These are easy-to-read books which grab
students.
High interest topics and real facts that are really
interesting! For
reluctant readers or those not yet switched on to
non-fiction, these books
will bring a buzz to your classroom.

Text features include:
- A variety of text types in a highly visual format
- Labelled diagrams, tables, graphs and maps
- Index, glossary and a table of contents
- Pages laid out as double-page spreads
- Illustrations and photographs on every page"

The bilingual versions are available in China only at
a fraction of the cost
of what one sees on the web for the English version
(this may have to do
with the quality of paper etc. used, though what we
bought here in Chengdu
is excellent quality).

The Chinese sites listed on one of the publications
(http://www.centuryoriental.com.cn/ &
http://edu.sina.com.cn/ )
unfortunately do not lead to anything about the books.

As an outsider it seems to me that creative thinking
about developing
African language materials (monolingual and bilingual)
for in class and
outside of class reading might look to Asia for
examples and possible
business relationships to build on. I'd imagine that
finding resources to
fund such projects will be a lot easier if there is a
good project to build
on. (And good translators available!)

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net