From: AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:07 AM
To: AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AfricanLanguages] Digest Number 321

There is 1 message in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: 2006, Year of African Languages on BBC
World "Africa Have Your
Say" radio
           From: "Don Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:48:23 -0000
   From: "Don Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2006, Year of African Languages on BBC
World "Africa Have Your
Say" radio

Thanks for this - you make a couple of good points.
I'd like to carry it a
step or two further if I may. Before that, I'd like to
ask if you or anyone
has access to the BBC site (I don't), to post anything
relevant or of
interest coming out of their "Africa have your say"
program. TIA.

1) I think that the subject of the BBC program misses
an essential element.
While extinction of languages is a crucial concern, it
is less often
recognized that a process of what I call "language
impoverishment" can
affect the quality of communication long before one
can call a language
"endangered." The quoted note about the quality of
Yoruba in sw Nigerian
cities is but one example. That can be a long process,
esp. for languages
with a lot of speakers.

2) This kind of language impoverishment is part of a
larger tragedy.
I've suggested elsewhere (on Multilingual_Literacy,
for example) that there
may arise situations where young people have no deep
knowledge of *any*
language: they aren't schooled in their maternal
language (or immersed in
any informal learning process) so "top off" at a level
that permits casual
conversation but not much more; and they don't master
the language of
school, due to several possible reasons. There are
always a few who will
excel no matter what, but for the mass of students and
thus for society as a
whole, there would seem to be a real problem that one
might describe as
"limited" or "impaired"
bilingualism (or multilingualism), and all that that
might mean for success
in life, contribution to humanity, etc. The answer is
not to abandon either
the maternal or the international language, but to
encourage both as many
societies do.

3) Another part of the mentality you mention, I think,
is what one colleague
referred to as many Africans taking their cultures and
languages for
granted. IOW, that language and culture are and always
will be there. But
that is not the case in Africa or anywhere else. At
some point with language
and culture, just as with the natural environment,
it's necessary to
recognize that the future is not guaranteed and that
some proactive
management and investment is necessary. Or else you
lose things that are
invaluable and unrecoverable.

4) It is interesting to compare the situation of
indigenous American
communities, many of which are now desperate to hold
on to their languages.
In many cases, their current predicament is in large
part the result of
explicit policies to eliminate their languages (in the
US and Canada, for
instance, though these were changed some years ago).
In Africa there is/was
not to my knowledge a campaign to wipe out African
languages (with a couple
of possible exceptions), but rather a nexus of
attitudes, focus on an
external language for "nation building," a passively
negative attitude about
multilingualism from donors, and a globalizing economy
in which English is
seen as the "language of the stomach." But the
long-term results may end up
being the same as if the powers that be mandated the
languages'
marginalization or elimination.

There's much more to say but I'll leave it there...

DZO

--- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "egbaman1"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's all down to colonial mentality is what I'd say.
> If African languages die out, do Africans think
they'll be more
> respected in the world when they can only speak
English, French,
> Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, German, Dutch,
Chinese, Japanese, Hindi,
> Arabic etc ?
> They'll be in for a big and unpleasant surprise in
future!

> ciao
> --- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "Don
Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I was looking for something "official" on the web
re Year of
> African
> > Languages (nothing so far) but found that the blog
of "Okuwori"
http://okrasoup.typepad.com/black_looks/ had this
> > same BBC item (Dec. 31) and a comment from a
reader that might be
> of
> > interest:
> >
> > When I was in Naija.. I looked for some Yoruba
literature books,
> as I
> > haven't read a book written in Yoruba for a very
long time.
> > I was told by the book store owner that, the
demand for both yoruba
> > and Igbo is diminishing.
> > I can definitely attest to the fact that the
Yoruba spoken in
> Lagos is
> > not real Yoruba, it's broken down and a simpler
version.

> > I finally found 2 books in the whole of Abuja
(written in Yoruba).

> > I'm still reading one of them and have been since
I got back. It's
> > learning journey a re-education on a beautiful
language, which I
> fear
> > is dying out.
> >
> > Our terminology is changing, you have kids in
Nigeria in Yoruba
> towns
> > who cannot speak the language. and the same goes
for Igbo Language.

> > thankfully the Hausa language is not fading out
like that.

> > --- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "Don
Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > FYI, a chance to make a comment about the
importance of Africa's
> > > maternal languages. (Fwd from Africa_Net)...
DZO

> > > For the BBC World "Africa Have Your Say" radio
programme on 4
> > January 2006
> > >
> > > 2006: Year of African Languages
> > >
> > > Comments may be made via the web at this address

> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4536450.stm

Yahoo! Groups Links