The following article from the Athens News was seen at
http://www.athensnews.com/issue/article.php3?story_id=25162 (link from
a Google alert)...  DZO

Group of students heading to Ghana for Arts-in-Africa program
2006-06-08
By Ashley Luther
Athens NEWS Campus Reporter

Study-abroad opportunities are a great way to "see the world" while
getting some of those extra electives out of the way. While London,
Spain, Italy and Amsterdam are a few Ohio University student
favorites, this summer 13 Bobcats will embark on an intensive,
three-week study of "African culture through the arts" in Ghana.

"While in Ghana, we are going to visit a former slave castle and walk
on the canopy of the rainforest," said Seth Goldstein, a participant
of the program. "All of this puts me completely out of my comfort
zone, and I am excited to see another part of the world."

According to the Office of Education Abroad, the trip intends to
immerse students into the various aspects of African culture (music,
theater, dance and art) through a hands-on atmosphere. Students take
classes from native professionals in these subjects, and then are
encouraged to create and critique their own performances and artwork.

Goldstein said he attended the study-abroad fair and noticed that the
Ghana program was the only one that emphasized music. "I am hoping to
incorporate what I learn from African music into my own music
someday," he said.

The study-abroad fair also sparked the interest of Sarah Schaaf, a
music production major. "I was attracted to the set-up that the Ghana
program had because they were playing videos, had drums out, and
everything just looked really fun," she said.

Schaaf said that she is most excited to learn African drumming. "Music
is a huge part of my life, and I'm always looking for a chance to pick
up a new instrument," she said.

In addition to being instructed by the National Dance Company of
Ghana, attending various dance and music festivals, and touring the
terrain, students will stay with Ghanian host families on the weekends
in hopes of exposing themselves to the local way of life and brushing
up on the African language, Ewe.

"When someone thinks of Africa," Schaaf added, "they think of the
Sahara with all of the animals, or they think of terrible conditions
like the things we see on TV, but I know that there is more to it than
just these things. I just want to be in a place that is unlike any
other I've been to before."

The program's director, Paschal Younge, is an associate professor of
multi-cultural music education at Ohio University. He is also artistic
co-director of the university's African ensemble.

Both Goldstein and Schaaf have never studied abroad in a country like
Ghana before, and neither is sure of the magnitude of culture shock he
or she may experience when arriving or leaving Ghana.

"I am sure that my view of the world and of life will be changed by
this trip," said Goldstein.

Shaaf put it best: "I figure that during college is a great time to
travel because I don't have to worry about leaving anything behind --
like a real job."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/TpIolB/TM