Hi Don,

you wrote: The only disadvantage is it is hard to find a standard spelling ambiguous enough to be read/pronounced differently in different dialects.

I wonder if it is really necessary to have an orthography that can be used to write all varieties of a language. German for example, which is much closer to the WYSIWYG principle than English or French, has an official orthography for the standard. I write (1) Standard German in official letters and essays, (2) less formal Standard German (with just a few elisions) to most friends and (3) seldom Palatinate.

  1. Guten Morgen, ich möchte dich gerne mal besuchen kommen.Hast du Zeit?
  2. Guten Morgen, ich möcht dich gern mal besuchen kommen. Hast du Zeit?
  3. Morsche, ich möcht dich gern mo bsuche kumme. Hascht Zeit?
  4. (Good Morning, I would like to visit you. Are you free?)

Only for the first one, I have learned an orthography. What I want to say is that individual speakers can make amendments to the standard form to accommodate their own variety, at least in unofficial writings. It probably won't be perfect under every circumstances. But it might be sufficient.

What do you think? Anja

Creative writing Creative writing course Creative writing class
Creative writing program Teaching creative writing

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS