The following article from the South African paper Mail & Guardian was
seen at
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=306207&area=/insight/insight__comment_and_analysis/
(thanks to a Google alert)...   Don

English only? Eish!
Fikile-Ntsikelelo Moya: COMMENT
01 May 2007 11:59

It was in the same week that my daughter's preschool teacher suggested
that we speak English to her at home that I met Ntate Koneshe and
asked him how he was.

He responded in Sesotho, as he always does, that "mathatha antse a
lekane matsoho" -- the problems are as big as our hands, to give it a
rough English translation. I imagined that anyone unfamiliar with
Sesotho would consider this a patently nonsensical response to a
simple "how are you?". And in keeping with the mores of some cultures,
Ntate Koneshe would have been describing his state of health when the
question was a polite pretence that the asker cared at all.

Now my beloved Momo would be excluded from the beauty of Ntate
Koneshe's language. Her school would have her forsake speaking an
African language just so that she would be less shy when playing with
Jessica and Zoe and others.

I was astounded when a white colleague who has a black son told me
that her son's school had recommended the same -- as had schools of
her other black friends who had themselves attended posh private
schools in Southern Africa.

Asking black children to speak English at home has readily become a
blanket prescription, something akin to the suggestion that children
who do not live up to teachers' expectations should be treated for
attention deficit disorder.

Alas, the confluence of honest concern for the development of
languages and commercial exploitation of the fear that your child may
be left behind makes it difficult to decide who is genuine.

I was reminded of all this when a spam email landed on my desk
announcing apocalyptically: "If you are a white South African who
cannot speak a Black African Language you are an endangered species!
Avoid Extinction Now."

If it is true that extinction awaits those who don't speak a "black"
African language, why then should Momo's chances of survival be
reduced when she is hardly four years old? Especially when, unlike
those on the endangered species list, she does not have to fork out
R97 a month to ensure her future?

Black people for all sorts of reasons are complicit in this
unfortunate scenario. Much has been said about how language is a
vehicle of culture. Equally a lot has been said about how black
parents are often themselves the obstacle to their children learning
and speaking the language of their ancestors.

I would not be surprised if white people thought that because they
sometimes say "Eish!" or "Fo sho!" that their chances of surviving the
impending day of reckoning were slightly better.

The former Radio Bantu stations, now that they are no longer
identified by tribal labels, have all but abandoned whatever trace
they might have had of African languages.

Radio Motsweding, which was once Radio Tswana, has a billboard
proclaiming "Re tla dula rethabile", which is Sesotho for "we will
stay happy". Had it stuck to the language its listeners assume is the
official one, the board would have read: "Re tla nna reitumetse" --
which means the same thing in Setswana.

In the absence of other measures, the ability to speak English with a
proper accent remains proof of IQ.

I am unhappy to admit that I was for a long time a believer in the
nonsensical notion that "English being a universal language of
business and commerce" meant that other languages would be reduced to
slang.

It is a ridiculous notion: nations that have overcome poverty did so
not because they could recite Shakespeare, but because they could
build cars and computers and other useful stuff.

The fact that I am writing this in English should be proof enough that
I have high regard for the language. I am one of the many who would
become redundant if English lost its status as the official language
of social discourse.

Fellow guests and I protested when a television station that had
invited us for a debate on the relationship between politicians and
the media told us, when we were already on set, that the lingua franca
for the show was African languages and not English.

We think and sometimes dream in English. It is part of our heritage.

But it is not the only part. Ntate Koneshe, who I have known longer
than I have known English, is also part of my heritage. Yet I have
never heard anyone make it a matter of survival of the species to
speak like him.

Fikile-Ntsikelelo Moya is sports editor

**************************** Disclaimer ******************************
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: