The following item from the South African new site, IOL.co.za was seen
on a pointer from edling via lgpolicy-list. The case was mentioned in
a post on this list in April (message #1027).

After the current posting I will append below two short articles from
January and March that I missed (I'm a bit behind in forwarding news).

Don

Court to hear language case soon
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=105&art_id=nw20080625105153851C229573
June 25 2008 at 10:57AM

A trial date was on Wednesday set down for the case involving the
chief executive of the Pan SA Language Board (PANSALB) who has accused
Durban High School of teaching her son sub-standard IsiZulu.

CEO Ntombenhle Nkosi argues that her son - whose mother tongue is
IsiZulu - is discriminated against by the school by being taught his
language as a second additional language which should be offered to
non-IsiZulu speakers.

She said this case was of national importance because it is aimed at
addressing the lack of transformation by most former model C schools
to alleviate the status of indigenous languages.

Trial was set down for July 23 and 24 at the Durban equality court.

- Sapa

**************************** Disclaimer ******************************
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

SABC News
Durban school under fire for language policy
January 17, 2008, 17:15
http://www.sabcnews.com/south_africa/education/0,2172,162611,00.html

A top Durban school is facing a legal challenge over its language
policy. Durban High School has come under fire for not allowing its
black students to study their home language at an advanced level. CEO
of the Pan South African Language Board (Pansalb), Ntombenhle Nkosi,
says she's taking the school to the Equality Court - on behalf of her
son - for misinterpreting the National Education Policy. Nkosi says
her then grade eight son had not been given the right to choose the
level of instruction for isiZulu or Afrikaans as set down by the
National Curriculum for Languages. Nkosi says this could have a
negative ripple effect on learners.

"This problem is so huge in that when the children reach university,
they won't choose our languages at a higher level because they have
been taught these languages at a very simplistic level," says Nkosi.

Racial segregation?

The school - which is an English medium institution - has now changed
its language policy on a trial basis. They are now offering isiZulu
and Afrikaans as a second language for grade eights only. However,
there are concerns that this could result in racial segregation among
the learners. "We didn't want to create a class which is only for
isiZulu speakers because in grade eight and nine, all the boys stay in
one class. So, if you do isiZulu as a group, you do every subject as a
group, which means that unfortunately we would have racially
segregated classes," says Durban High School principal, Dave Magner.

However, the complainant says this is insufficient. The case is set to
be of national importance concerning the monitoring of the National
Education Policy on Languages at schools. Experts say it could force
schools to readdress the standards at which they teach additional
languages.

**************************** Disclaimer ******************************
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

The Sowetan
Mom takes school to court over language policy
http://www.sowetan.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=729037
Mhlaba Memela

A KwaZulu-Natal parent has taken Durban High School to court for
teaching her son sub-standard isiZulu, while other languages such as
Afrikaans and English were given priority.

Ntombenhle Nkosi is the first parent to take the school to court
following a dispute over language transformation.

Nkosi lodged her complaint at the equality court on behalf of her son
against the school and its governing body in October last year.

Nkosi argues that her son, whose mother tongue is isiZulu, is being
discriminated against by the school by being taught the language as a
second additional language, or third level isiZulu, which should be
offered to non-isiZulu speakers.

Nkosi, who is a chief executive of the Pan South African Language
Board (PanSALB), has paved the way for many parents to challenge the
lack of transformation in most former model C schools in the country.

"I became concerned when my son's results indicated that he was taught
isiZulu as an additional language not as mother tongue.

"According to the Department of Education's national curriculum
statement, children have a right to be taught their mother tongue at a
high level," she said.

Nkosi said she tried to address the matter with the school after
receiving a letter enquiring how parents wanted their children to be
taught languages.

"I wrote back indicating that children should be taught as per
guidelines in the curriculum statement.

"Nothing had changed in his mid-term results, instead he was insulted
by an Afrikaans teacher," she said.

She said she was forced to remove her son from the school because of
the issue.

"I want them to know that they are breaking the law as they fail to
follow the curriculum statement on languages."

Sibusiso Nkosi, a spokesman for the PanSALB, said the situation at
former model C schools where African children were made to leave their
African languages would not go unchallenged.

He said the case was of national importance as it addressed the lack
of transformation to improve the status of indigenous languages.

"Our schools should create an environment in which children feel
comfortable to learn their languages and cultures.

"As a democratic country which promotes linguistic diversity, it is
wrong to let other citizens to be cheer leaders, while others enjoy
their freedoms," Sibusiso Nkosi said.

The case will be heard in the equality court tomorrow.

**************************** Disclaimer ******************************
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: