Thank you (belatedly) for sharing this. Indeed, it seems that every study on
language of instruction shows the same thing: use of the first language of
students is better for learning. It is possible to learn in a second or thitd
languae, but for most people, the quality of understanding and internalization
of knowledge are not optimal. For the kind of broad-based education pivotal for
development, it there is a relationship to choice of language(s) and approaches
to their use.

Don

--- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "polyglute" <polygl...@...> wrote:

> I think this is a very interesting study into the use of African languages as
> medium of instruction since Ethiopia is the African country with the longest
> number of years of study in African languages by the children at this point.
> Also, different language policy used in Ethiopia allow the comparison of the
> different level of imported languages used (or not).
>
> The text is written with the objective of being a valuable source of
> information for policy makers and people interested in the effectiveness of
> the use of African languages in education in any country.
>
> Bacically, the conclusion is that the best model is the
> multilingual/trilingual model where the number of years the children are
> taught in their own mother tongue is maximized.
>
> The trilingual model is one that use:
>
> 1 - African languages (mother tongue/closest familiar local languages) as
> language of instructions
> 2 - Another local/national language as a second language
> 3 - International (english, french) language as a second language
>
> So children learn in their mother tongue and learn 2 other languages as
> subjects.  In my opinion such policy should be used at all level from primary
> to university.  This study, among others, shows considerable advantage of
> using it for at least 8 years (then use one international imported language
> for teaching while the other 2 stays  subjects).
>
> http://www.hsrc.ac.za/research/output/outputDocuments/4379_Heugh_Studyonmediumofinstruction.pdf

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: