The most significant advancements seem to be made by using NNs with
categorical feature detection or by using discrete systems in a network of
some kind. The networks may not be explicit in discrete methods in but even
in the earliest developments they were intrinsic to the case detection.
Discrete systems should not use one taxonomy of relations and DNNS do not
work without categorical feature detection. The future seems obvious. DNNs
work because they are fast on (contemporary) GPU type of data systems and
that is why they have pulled away from more discrete recognition systems
that could employ inferences (data projections). If a symbolic method is
implemented in a network it could do anything a simpler network only it
would be slower. The GPUs can operate on weighted networks, so with a
discrete recognition system meaningful relations could hypothetically be
detected (although it would be relatively slow on a contemporary GPU.) I do
not think that gamest detect situations based on the graphical situation -
which is different than those of us who use sensors to figure out where we
are. If sensory GPUs were further developed then basic situations (in the
sensor space) could be used as rapid feature detectors. Since a GPU can be
written to, in particular spaces, that means that perceptual projection
could be used in simulate different kinds of situations (which could then
be subsequently used in perceptual feature detection.) But the first step,
direct detection of features in GPUs is missing because games operate on
the principle of projecting the game space onto the visual output, not the
other way around. (Sorry I don't have time to edit this to make it more
readable.)
Jim Bromer