On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 2:27 AM Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong tho, I don't think this is the golden path to AGI
> or anything....

By contrast, if anyone does want to look for the golden path to AGI, rather
than the next step down a dead end as usual! In case someone here is
looking for new ideas, rather than just pushing an agenda. I suggest people
start thinking about the problem as one of finding a principle by which
new, meaningful, patterns, can be created. New, but meaningful, because the
principle which creates them is meaningful.

Because it is distasteful to constantly push my own work, to get a flavour
you might start with someone else's work I discovered recently:

"Structural Emergence in Partially Ordered Sets is the Key to Intelligence"
http://sergio.pissanetzky.com/Publications/AGI2011.pdf

Pissanetzky defines "meaning" as "invariants" in ways of permuting
cause-effect pairs in the observed world.

With a focus on permutations there are no fixed patterns. Permutations
reorder the world in new ways, which are nevertheless meaningful, because
the principle for rearrangement, shared causality/prediction, is meaningful.

-Rob