On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:31 AM Linas Vepstas <linasveps...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 6:34 PM Rob Freeman <chaotic.langu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Sergio Pissanetzky comes close to this, with his analysis in terms of
> > permutations, also resulting in a network:
> > "Structural Emergence in Partially Ordered Sets is the Key to Intelligence"
> http://sergio.pissanetzky.com/Publications/AGI2011.pdf
>
> I'll look. Is it actually that good?

He lost me when he made the giant leap that this was the key to
intelligence, like this is how the brain works. The paper mostly
references his own work plus a few textbooks and irrelevant articles.

Anyway he claims that minimizing the cost function of a partially
ordered set solves all sorts of problems, like visual clustering,
discovering Newtonian mechanics, deriving class hierarchies in
procedural code (referenced in his other papers that I didn't read),
and parallel CPU scheduling. His examples don't seem to apply the
transitive property (A < B and B < C doesn't imply A < C), which would
make it a directed acyclic graph instead. All of his examples are
trees. The cost is defined as twice the total length of the edges when
all the vertices are arranged in a straight line. (Twice for the
"profound" reason that in a characteristic matrix representation, it's
the distance from the diagonal and back, which he calls a "flux
line"). The minimization can be solved (I think) iteratively by
inducing a "block structure", which I think means merging leaf nodes
into their siblings and parents. He doesn't give an algorithm, in
keeping with the paper's lack of mathematical rigor or standard
terminology. (He never mentions graphs, trees, vertices, edges, etc).

--
-- Matt Mahoney, mattmahone...@gmail.com