Brett,
Steve has been talking about something similar. I understand the value of
being able to add and subtract rates or ratios as a substitute for
multiplication and division but I am wondering if this might be used to
alleviate fundamental problems in comparing discrete states. I also might
be able to use something like that in my idea of a mathematical index. When
using log values to represent ratios you are losing information (like the
actual numbers of activations and inhibitions) so it is a major compression
technique which compresses both the data and the mathematical function that
uses the data. So I might use various ratios (of probability for example)
to derive an evaluation of a 'conceptual index'.  There are certain
mathematical series which can be expressed as relatively simple functions.
But the functions combine addition and multiplication so the division
between the two methods becomes an obstacle to the employment of them to
resolve important computational problems. There are mathematical work
arounds but they become so complicated that it does not look like ti would
be effective from an amateur's point of view. I just had an interesting
thought. You can use functions of varying ratios as a compression method.
Or, since I envision my (conjectured) mathematical conceptual index as
needing to use different 'recipes' of ratios between different kinds of
conceptual evaluations, it might be very useful. Thanks for mentioning this
idea.
Jim Bromer