Colin, will your proposed paper contain an experimental results
section? I realize you favor the neuroscience approach to AGI. We need
neuroscience to figure out how the brain does what it does, as well as
computer science to test the theories that it suggests. Have you done
any experiments on human or animal brains?

I'm not interested in yet another untested design or proposal for AGI.
I wrote one in 2008. I'm not going to build it because it will cost
USD $1 quadrillion.
http://mattmahoney.net/agi2.html

Nor am I interested in theories about consciousness. We will spend $1
quadrillion globally on human labor over the next 12 years doing work
that machines aren't smart enough to do. To solve this problem, we
need machines that can see, hear, navigate, understand language,
evaluate art, model human behavior, and do everything else that people
can do. But there is no need to simulate human weaknesses like
emotions or poor memory in order for it to pass the Turing test. I
don't care if you think it thinks or not, any more than Turing cared.

I am not interested in economic or social theories on what will happen
when machines put us all out of work. The more we automate, the more
the cost of labor rises. Do you understand why?

I am interested in actual experimental results that further goals
toward AGI. My results, if you care to include them:

First: A 13 year long evaluation of over 1000 versions of 200 text
compression algorithms. http://mattmahoney.net/dc/rationale.html

My conclusions are:
1. The best language models are based on neural networks (which we now
know is true for vision and robotics as well).
2. Intelligence (measured by prediction accuracy) increases with the
log of computing speed and the log of memory.

Second: my cost estimate for AGI: http://mattmahoney.net/costofai.pdf

The cost is based on the computing power of the human brain (1 to 10
petaflops, 0.1 to 1 petabyte) times 7 billion people, collecting 10^17
bits of global human knowledge not yet on the internet at $0.01 per
bit, and the complexity of our DNA, equivalent to 300M lines of code.

If you want to prevent another AI winter, then solve the power
problem. A petaflop computer uses 1 MW of electricity. 7 billion of
these would use 7000 TW. Global energy production is 15 TW. You can't
reduce power consumption by making transistors smaller because you
can't make transistors smaller than atoms. If you want to get anywhere
close to the Landauer limit of 3 x 10^-21 J per bit operation, then
you need to compute by moving atoms instead of electrons, like our
cells and our brains do at a global cost of 0.7 TW.

--
-- Matt Mahoney, mattmahone...@gmail.com