Hi Matt,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM Matt Mahoney <mattmahone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Colin, yes you answered my questions about consciousness. To summarize, by
> consciousness you mean qualia, that which makes you different than a
> philosophical zombie. Since a zombie is by definition behaviorally
> identical to a human, there is no test for consciousness and no capability
> that depends on it. You could simply declare that neurons are conscious and
> transistors are not, even if they implement identical functions, and nobody
> could argue otherwise.

I've read through your post, and thought at length, trying to see how it
might be me that is confused, and how you might be confused about that. If
you think I am confused, then there are hundreds of thousands of scientists
that are just as confused in exactly the same way. None of them accept
anything as true by definition, without empirical proof and none of them
will accept mere 'definition' (like the zombie is merely defined) when it
comes the the scientific account of natural phenomena. Computer science is
100% theoretical (artificial as in 'mobile phones don't grow on trees') and
I think possible you haven't internalised that fact of the science and its
implication. This can happen when you spend an entire career  dealing with
something that is entirely theoretical/artificial.

On reflection is most likely that  the fundamental culprits are

1) You are confusing a lack of literal 'observation' of consciousness with
a lack of scientific evidence of consciousness.
2) Because of your lodgement in an entirely theoretical/artificial
knowledge domain where definition is allowed where elsewhere it is not, you
used 1) to  give yourself latitude to 'define your way' into accepting a
hypothesis (substrate independence') is true where elsewhere its conclusive
proof would require empirical evidence acquired by critically testing for
falsehood and failing. (e)LEFT facilitates that science. (e) RIGHT on its
own can't do it.

I think that might account for your claim I am confused. To prove I am
confused requires the full science framework I propose. And I am quite
happy to be proved confused in that way and will change my mind, then and
only then, because I have done the science correctly.

So I guess I'll just continue to deliver the chip design into (e)LEFT,
carefully comparing and contrasting it with (e)RIGHT. A chip that has a
literal EEG like a natural brain, and that is not a digital or analog
computer and uses no model of a brain, and has no software. ... just like
the natural brain... ... and then hope that somehow it reaches a target
that changes things.

It is a source of deep embarrassment and frustration that I find I have to
defend a change to repair a faulty science discipline established by mere
accidental omission (by nobody), and that is unique in all science. But
that's where I am. That's where we all are.

Colin