I just wanted to say that it seems likely that the Wright brothers (or at
least Orville) believed that they could make a pedal powered flying
bicycle. (I do not mean to be hyper-critical) but it seems very unlikely
that the Wrights thought they could somehow harness birds to get their
bicycle to fly. The thought probably did occur to them but the goal was
(almost certainly) tied to using technology that was available to them: a
machine that could be pedaled to a speed faster than a person could run and
which could be pedaled to travel longer distances than a person could run.
Of course, flying is not the same as bicycling along a smooth road, and a
rough road at the start of the 20th century would not be an efficient
surface to bike on. The Wright model of technological achievement is not
the only model available to us, but it does represent how we need to work
with technology that is available and accessible. The Wrights developed a
wind tunnel and they discovered that the optimal angle of attack of a wing
- or a propeller Orville realized - varied with the speed of the travel,
and Orville discovered this by welding a test contraption on the top of the
handlebars of a bicycle. I am not arguing about the merits of studying
other ways to create AGI, I am only pointing out that our approach is sound
- except that most of us are not actually conducting experiments.
Jim Bromer