oh god, my post is permanently screwed up...
Me: "Physics Simulators can't actually create physics, no machine can."
Matt: "Software can simulate agents in an artificial world that can make
accurate predictions about that world while believing it is real and completely
different than what it really is."

The world works by physics, and these software trained agents are effective in
the world. They don't actually experience anything in the spiritual meaning
(nor do we, at least that we can test or talk about), they just have the same
effect in the computer and hence will work fine once put in a real body. Simply
the computer is doing something that matches the expected behavior, for example
if a motor in the world rotates like x by based on its body and signals, while
in the computer some bits are known to to make it move the needed way using
some bits representing its body (motor) and the environment (table), then it
will work because it's the closest thing that will be known to do what we want.
It's just that, no universe or magic in a computer.