My present motive for bringing up the "physics envy" trope, and Minsky's
redemption, is the chasm over which civilization is now passing the abyss
may be bridged if only people get over the idea that Algorithmic
Information Theory's model selection criterion is "just another information
criterion like BIC, AIC, etc.".  You don't need artificial intelligence AT
ALL to bridge this chasm with AIT.  All you need is for people to stop
yammering (and potentially shooting) at each other about their social
theories and accept that the smallest executable archive of the collected
data available to us about society and the environment, should be accepted
as embodying the best theory we currently have for guiding public policy.

Both the AGI and the Statistics community can contribute to bridging this
gap by giving up on their respective unprincipled behaviors relating to
AIT:  The AGI community has to STOP thinking about lossless compression as
a solely or even primarily automatic process and the statistics community
has to STOP thinking about models of society and the environment as less
than Turing complete.  Only then can the two sides bridge the chasm so the
vast sums of money sitting in passive piles under the control of senile
institutions will pour into prize purses for incremental reductions in the
size of the executable archive of said comprehensive data collections.

Failure to do this _will_ result in "rivers of blood".