On 7/15/21, Brett N Martensen <br...@adaptroninc.com> wrote:
> Gadi Singer, VP of Intel Labs, who leads their cognitive computing research
> has a definition of understanding at 16:00 minutes into his recent video
> presentation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfizAySe0E&t=1538s
> The video is worth listening to all the way through.

Thanks. I will use this:

Understanding is about the ability to create a worldview expressed
with rich knowledge representation …. to be able to model inside the
machine, inside the person, the complex world that is outside. The
other capability of understanding is to acquire and interpret new
information. And to enhance and continuously update this worldview
because the the world around us is very dynamic. The interests are
growing. So part of understanding is the ability to continuously
update this internal view inside the machine or on us of what is
happening outside. And the third is the ability to effectively reason
and explain both our existing knowledge. As well as in real time, new
information coming from the outside.

Gadi Singer
source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfizAySe0E