My ultimate goal with term rewriting would be algorithm synthesis that could
replace NN learning approach.

The story is: we define in term rewriting system a programming language such is
simply typed lambda calculus or something similar. Then we supply a set of
inputs paired with expected outputs. At the end, the term rewriting system is
able to construct an exact lambda calculus function that pairs supplied inputs
and outputs, while the same function may operate on yet unspecified inputs.
Such a function then takes a role of trained NN.