On Sat, May 20, 2023, 8:37 AM stefan.reich.maker.of.eye via AGI <
agi@agi.topicbox.com> wrote:

> On Friday, May 19, 2023, at 2:36 AM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
>
> All that's going to come of this are regulations that don't help anyone.
>
> I don't trust Sam Altman one bit, and his latest appearance in congress
> has just confirmed my impression.

I trust Congress even less. In theory, they are supposed to represent the
interests of the American public who don't understand the risks of AI any
more than they do. Any regulations on US companies is only going to help
China win the technology race even sooner than they would anyway. This is
all happening because Elon Musk and a few thousand others (regretfully
including me) signed the petition for a 6 month pause on AI, and Eliezer
Yudkowsky is calling for air strikes on data centers in Time magazine.

The singularity isn't near. Human level intelligence is not a point on a
line where AI goes FOOM when you cross it. It is a broad set of
capabilities that we started crossing in 1950 with arithmetic and a century
before that when we started building machines stronger and faster than
humans. Intelligence depends on knowledge and computing power, both of
which have been accumulating for centuries. A self rewriting program gains
neither. Moore's law in fact has been slowing down since CPU speeds stalled
around 2-3 GHz in 2010 and is about to hit a bigger hurdle when transistor
sizes reach the limits of physics. A RAM capacitor uses 8 electrons to
store a bit. How much smaller can we make them?

If humans go extinct, it will be because women stop having children. This
is already happening everywhere except Africa. Techhnology empowers women
to have the same rights as men and not be forced into motherhood (which I
support, but I will also die without descendants). AI makes it safe and
convenient to live alone with all your needs satisfied. Our DNA is coded
for tribal loyalty and warfare, not for a world where you can have
everything you want except happiness.