I am fascinated by the idea of artificial human minds like most people on
this list. But AGI is expensive and all the money is going into the $100
trillion per year problem of automating labor. If it wasn't expensive then
I expect that some of the decades long efforts by people on this list would
have come up with something at least as capable as ChatGPT, or even Alexa.
Instead, what?

I do find it interesting that the best way to compress a terabyte of text
is to learn a model of the physical world and the humans that interact with
it. It is somewhat disconcerting that we don't know how this model was
learned.

AI safety is a topic. I am concerned with the risks of giving human or
property rights to machines that we can't control or understand, and
uploads would certainly have those rights.